May 14, 2012

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS joining Active Directory.

After joining OpenSuse I was ready for Ubuntu. I thought that it wil be rather similar to OpenSuse. But I was very happy, because it was much easier for Ubuntu. Watch my steps:
Step 1. I changed my /etc/nsswitch.conf. I deleted value in hosts string, changing to dns value. It looked like:
hosts             dns
Step 2. Than I installed likewise-open and likewise-open-gui by synaptic. It was very convenient.
Step 3. Finally, I started installed GUI program called AD Membership. Entering computer name, domain, clicked "Join". Admin login and password finished domain joining.
Step 4. I rebooted my computer and couldn't find opportunity to manual login. It was my account and guest. After some I found the way to overcome such problem. I added such string in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf:
greeter-show-manual-login=true 
Rebooting computer and logged as Active Directory user.

In addition I would like to say, that it is oblivious that joinig AD by ubuntu was rather easier than such operation with OpenSuse. But thanks to OpenSuse I read about Kerberos, samba and some basics network things.
The next post will be devoted to change ubuntu password or how to activate root account. I know that there are a lot of manuals, but it will be useful for me as a reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment